Thursday, October 21, 2010

"Hell does not last forever"

"I have more faith in Hitler than anyone else. He alone has kept his promises, all his promises, to the Jewish people."

This book never gets easier, and it sure took me longer to finish this round. But it's a necessary road.



"I remember: it happened yesterday, or eternities ago. A young Jewish boy discovered the Kingdom of Night....and now the boy is turning to me. "Tell me," he asks, "what have you done with my future, what have you done with your life?" And I tell him that I have tried. That I have tried to keep the memory alive, that I have tried to fight those who would forget. Because if we forget, we are guilty, we are accomplices.

And then I explain to him how naive we were, that the world did know and remained silent. And that is why I swore never to be silent whenever and wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim.....when human lives are endangered, when human dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant."

~Excerpt from Elie Wiesel's Nobel Peace Prize Acceptance Speech, 1986 

No comments:

 
Free Hit Counter